Special Education Needs and Disabilities (SEND)

Special Educational Needs and Disability (SEND)

Special Educational Needs and Disability (SEND) Policy 2017

Dubmire Primary Academy Accessibility Plan

Special Educational Needs Information Report

Reviewed – May 2018

Schools have a similar approach to meeting the needs of pupils with Special Educational Needs and/or disabilities and are supported by the Local Authority to ensure that all pupils, regardless of their specific needs, make the best possible progress in school.
All schools are supported to be as inclusive as possible, with the needs of pupils with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND) being met in a mainstream setting wherever possible.
The broad areas of SEND need are:

  • Communication and Interaction
  • Cognition and Learning
  • Social, Emotional and Mental Health Difficulties
  • Sensory and/or Physical

What does the Local Authority (LA)Offer?

The Children and Families Bill was enacted in September 2014. From this Bill, the LA and schools are required to publish information about services they expect to be available for individuals, aged 0-25 with Special Educational needs (SEN). The LA refer to this as the Local Offer.
The intention of the Local Offer is to improve choice and transparency for families It will also be an important resource for parents in understanding the range of services and provision in the local area.

What does the school offer?

Dubmire utilises the LA Local Offer to meet the needs of the SEND pupils. By clicking on the questions below, you can read further information about the support Dubmire can offer a child with SEND.

What is the Special Education Needs Information Report?

Schools utilise the LA Local Offer to meet the needs of SEND pupils as determined by school policy and the provision that the school is able to provide. Schools refer to this as ‘The Special Education Needs Information Report. 


Please read the 13 questions below for more information about the Special Education Needs Information Report for Dubmire Academy.

1. Who are the best people to talk to in the school about my child’s difficulties with learning/ Special Educational Needs or Disabilities (SEND)?

Reveal Answer
The class teacher is responsible for:-

  • Checking on the progress of your child and identifying, planning and delivering any additional help your child may need (this could be things like targeted work, additional support) and letting the SENDCo know as necessary.
  • Writing Pupil Progress targets/ Support plans, and sharing and reviewing these with parents at least once each term and planning for the next term. Personalised teaching and learning for your child as identified on school’s provision map.
  • Ensuring that the school’s SEND Policy is followed in their classroom and for all the pupils they teach with any SEND.

The SENDCo, Mrs Richardson and Mrs Rowntree (EYFS) are responsible for SEND in school. (Mrs Ashleigh Young is the SENDCo in Dubmire Daycare.
These members of staff are responsible for:-

  • Developing and reviewing the school’s SEND policy
  • Coordinating all the support for children with special educational needs or disabilities (SEND)
  • Ensuring that you are:
    • involved in supporting your child’s learning
    • kept informed about the support your child is getting
    • involved in reviewing how they are doing.
  • Liaising with all the other people who may be coming into to school to help support your child’s learning e.g. Speech and Language Therapy, Educational Psychology etc.
  • Updating the school’s SEND register (a system for ensuring that all the SEND needs of pupils in this school are known) and making sure that records of your child’s progress and needs are kept.
  • Providing specialist support for teachers and support staff in the school so that they can help children with SEND in the school to achieve the best progress possible.

The Head teacher, Mrs Morrison is responsible for:-

  • the day-to-day management of all aspects of the site, including the support for children with SEND
  • ensuring that your child’s needs are met by selecting and overseeing the SENDCo and other staff
  • keeping the Governing Body up-to-date about issues relating to SEND

The SEND Governor is responsible for:-

  • making sure that the necessary support is given to any child with SEND, who attends Dubmire
  • tel – 0191 3823071

2. What are the different types of support available for children with SEND in the school?

Reveal Answer

a) Class teacher input via excellent targeted classroom teaching (Quality First Teaching).

For your child this would mean:

  • That the teacher has the highest possible expectations for your child and all pupils in their class.
  • That all teaching is built on what your child already knows, can do and can understand.
  • Different ways of teaching are in place so that your child is fully involved in learning in class. This may involve things like using more practical learning.
  • Specific strategies (which may be suggested by the SENDCo) are in place to support your child to learn.
  • Your child’s teacher will have carefully checked on your child’s progress and will have decided that your child has a gap or gaps in their understanding/learning and needs some extra support to help them make the best possible progress.

Specific group work

Intervention which may be:

  • Run in the classroom or outside.
  • Run by a teacher or a Teaching Assistant (TA).

b) Specialist groups run by outside agencies e.g .Speech and Language therapy

SEN Code of Practice 2014: School Support (SS)

This means they have been identified by the SENDCo class teacher as needing some extra specialist support in school from a professional outside the school. This may be from:

Local Authority central services such as the ASD Outreach Team or Sensory Service (for students with a hearing or visual need)

Outside agencies such as the Education Psychology Service (EPS).

What could happen:

You may be asked to give your permission for the school to refer your child to a specialist professional e.g . a Speech and Language Therapist or Educational Psychologist. This will help the school and yourself understand your child’s particular needs better and be able to support them better in school.

The specialist professional will work with your child to understand their needs and make recommendations as to the ways your child is given support.

c) Specified Individual support

This type of support is available for children whose learning needs are, severe, complex and lifelong.

This is usually provided via a Statement of Special Educational Needs or an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP). This means your child will have been identified by professionals as needing a particularly high level of individual or small group teaching.

This type of support is available for children with specific barriers to learning that cannot be overcome through Quality First Teaching and intervention groups (“Including All Children” documentation from LA).

Your child will also need specialist support in school from a professional outside the school. This may be from:

Local Authority central services such as the ASD Outreach Team or Sensory Service (for students with a hearing or visual need)

Outside agencies such as the Speech and Language therapy (SALT) Service

For your child this would mean:

  • The school (or you) can request that Local Authority Services carry out a statutory assessment of your child’s needs. This is a legal process which sets out the amount of support that will be provided for your child.
  • After the request has been made to the ‘Panel of Professionals’ (with a lot of information about your child, including some from you), they will decide whether they think your child’s needs (as described in the paperwork provided), seem complex enough to need a statutory assessment. If this is the case they will ask you and all professionals involved with your child to write a report outlining your child’s needs. If they do not think your child needs this, they will ask the school to continue with the current support.
  • After the reports have all been sent in, the ‘Panel of Professionals’ will decide if your child’s needs are severe, complex and lifelong. If this is the case they will write a Statement of Special Educational Needs or an Education Health Care Plan (EHCP). If this is not the case, they will ask the school to continue with the current level of support and also set up a meeting in school to ensure a plan is in place to ensure your child makes as much progress as possible

The Statement or EHC Plan will outline the number of hours of individual/small group support your child will receive from the LA and how the support should be used and what strategies must be put in place. It will also have long and short term goals for your child.

  • The additional adult may be used to support your child with whole class learning, run individual programmes or run small groups including your child

3. How can I let the school know I am concerned about my child’s progress in school?

Reveal Answer
  • If you have concerns about your child’s progress you should speak to your child’s class teacher initially.
  • If you continue to be concerned, you may speak to the Special Education Needs/ Disabilities Coordinator (SENDCo).
  • The school SEND Governor can also be contacted for support.

4. How will the school let me know if they have any concerns about my child’s learning in school?

Reveal Answer
School hold regular opportunities for parents to share information about their child:-

If your child is identified as not making progress, the school will set up a meeting to discuss this with you in more detail and to:

  • listen to any concerns you may have
  • plan any additional support your child may need
  • discuss with you any referrals to outside professionals to support your child’s learning

5. How is extra support allocated to children?

Reveal Answer

The school budget, includes money for supporting children with SEND.

  • The decision about the deployment of resources for SEND rests with the Head Teacher in consultation with the school governors, on the basis of need in the school.
  • The Head Teacher and the Inclusion manager/ SENDCo discuss all the information they have about children with SEND.
  • Including:
    •  the children getting extra support already
    • the children needing extra support
    • the children who have been identified as not making as much progress as would be expected and decide what resources/training and support is needed.
    • the child’s view will be sought informally and for review meetings; this may not always be possible with very young children / children with delayed development.
    • Schools identify the needs of their pupils on a school provision map which for SEND pupils identifies all resources/training and support are reviewed regularly and changes made as needed.

6. Who are the other people providing services to children with SEND in the school?

Reveal Answer
School Provision

  • Teaching assistants/learning support assistants
  • Sports/Health Coach
  • Breakfast Club / After school club

Local Authority

  • Autism Outreach Team
  • Educational Psychology
  • Sensory Service for children with visual or hearing problems
  • Language and Learning Team
  • KS1 and KS2 Behaviour Intervention Team

Health Provision delivered in school

  • Speech and Language screens/liaison
  • School nurse
  • Physiotherapy
  • Occupational Therapy
  • CAMHs

7. How are the staff in the school helped to work with children with SEND and what training do they have?

Reveal Answer
  • The SENDCo’s job role is to support the class teacher in planning for children with SEND
  • Whole school training is a regular feature of Professional Development in school in areas such as Autistic Spectrum Disorder, Speech and Language Difficulties, Dyslexia etc
  • Individual teachers and support staff attend training courses run by outside agencies that are relevant to the needs of specific children in their class e.g. from the Autism Outreach Team (AoT) service.

8. How will the teaching be adapted for my child with SEND?

Reveal Answer
  • Class teachers plan lessons according to the specific needs of the children in their class
  • Sometimes, your child may work with a support assistant under the direction of the class teacher so they can support a highly personalised approach
  • Specific resources and strategies may be used to support your child
  • Planning and teaching will be adapted on a daily basis if needed, to meet your child’s learning needs

9. How will we measure the progress of your child in school?

Reveal Answer
Every child’s progress is continually monitored by the class teacher and is formally reviewed every term in reading, writing, maths

  • Additional assessment will chart the development of other areas of learning, especially in Early Years

eg physical development, learning/social behaviour, self -esteem, imagination and creativity

At the end of each key stage (i.e. at the end of year 2 and year 6) all children are required to be formally assessed using Standard Assessment Tests (SATS). This is something the government requires all schools to do and are the results that are published nationally.

  • Children may have personal targets which will be reviewed, and a future plan made.
  • Teachers meet with SENDCo on a termly basis as part of SEND pupil progress meetings.
  • The progress of children with a statement of SEND/ EHC Plan is formally reviewed at an Annual Review, with all adults involved with the child’s education.
  • The SENDCo will also check that your child is making good progress within any individual work and in any group that they take part in.

10. What support do we have for you as a parent of a child with SEND?

Reveal Answer

The class teacher is regularly available to discuss your child’s progress or any concerns you may have and to share information about what is working well at home and school so similar strategies can be used.

  • SENDCo is available to meet with you to discuss your child’s progress or any concerns/worries you may have.
  • All information from outside professionals will be discussed with you with the person involved directly, or where this is not possible, in a report.
  • Personal progress targets will be reviewed with your involvement.
  • A home/school contact book may be used to support communication with you, when this has been agreed to be useful for you and your child.

11. How is the school accessible to children with SEND?

Reveal Answer
  • The school is fully compliant with DDA requirements.
  • The school is on one level with easy access and double doors.
  • There is a disabled toilet.
  • We ensure, where ever possible, that equipment used is accessible to all children regardless of their needs.
  • After school provision is accessible to all children including those with SEND.
  • Extra curricular activities are accessible for children with SEND.

12. How will we support your child when they are leaving Dubmire or moving to another class?

Reveal Answer

We recognise that transitions can be difficult for a child with SEND and take steps to ensure that any transition is a smooth as possible.

If your child is moving child to another school:

  • We will contact the school SENDCO and ensure he/she knows about any special arrangements or support that need to be made for your child.
  • We will make sure that all records about your child are passed on as soon as possible.

When moving classes in school:

  • Information will be passed on to the new class teacher in advance and in most cases, a planning meeting will take place with the new teacher. Personal targets will be shared with the new teacher.
  • If your child would be helped by a book to support them understand moving on then it will be made for them.

In Year 6:

  • The SENDCo will discuss the specific needs of your child with the SENDCo of their secondary school.
  • Where possible your child will visit their new school on several occasions and in some cases staff from the new school will visit your child in this school

13. What Emotional and Social Development support does Dubmire offer to children with SEND?

Reveal Answer
The emotional health and wellbeing of all our children is very important to us at Dubmire. We have a positive ethos, focusing on rewarding good behaviour, to create a caring, sharing school community.

  • We have a robust Child Protection Policy in place and we follow National and LA guidelines
  • We also have a behaviour policy in place, which is reinforced daily with the children and shared with parents in a home-school agreement
  • We have the Gold anti-bullying standard, achieved in 2014
  • We offer nurture support to those children who need it, both within lesson times and during unstructured times
  • We run interventions which focus on Emotional well-being for example Friends and Fun Friends

14. Where can I find further information?

Reveal Answer
If you need further information, you are welcome to contact the school and speak to the Head teacher.

Local Offer

Please click below to view the local offer from Sunderland Local Authority.


Find us on facebook